May The Words of My Mouth . . .


"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14 NIV


These words are often quoted and sung in our churches and they are pregnant with meaning for us. There is much teaching in the church at large about what we say, but unfortunately I find one of two extremes on the subject. The first is that extreme we call "name and claim," and the second extreme is the belief that if a Christian is not cursing (using the Lord's name in vain, etc) then their speech is fine.

I believe the truth is between the two. But please understand what I am not saying. The Christian who believes that as long as they are not cursing, then they are not sinning with their mouth is the worst of the two extremes. Name and claim are closer to the Word. Yet, that too misses the mark and leaves a huge inaccuracy in our understanding of the Word.

I believe it is a matter of influence -- not control. I do not believe the Bible teaches that we control our destiny with our words. I do believe, however, we sow the seeds of the future with our words. Those two statements are not the same. One is trying to control my circumstances by saying the right thing, the other is planting the seeds of the Spirit with our speech and thereby influencing everything around us with the Kingdom of God. As long as our words (and prayers) are mainly concerned with our circumstances (or someone else) we will never be able to do what the word is saying. Our words must be truth (not necessarily fact), kind, filled with grace and peace.

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4: 29-32

I believe this is all expressed primarily through the words of our mouth. If we are angry, bitter, etc... it all comes out through our speech. The word in Psalm 19 is a prayer that what we "murmur" (mediation) about in our heart will be pleasing and what we say will be pleasing. All because He is our Rock and our Redeemer. It is not necessary for me to be critical. I usually think it is needful that someone speak up, but really no where (have I found) in Scripture does it tell me to be critical. In fact, it speaks just the opposite.

I see many lining up for prayer, wanting healing, that turn and destroy others with their attitudes and their speech. Healing does not flow in many of our churches, and I think that is in large part because we we violate the Word constantly in our talk. When will be really understand? Our speech is to be positive (Philippians 4:8). We have no other permission.

Let's begin to curb and eradicate this plague of every person saying what is on their mind, and get back to a Biblical form of blessings -- with our words.

Just some thoughts---.

Comments

Violet N. said…
Amen and amen!

I love your writings here - so much wisdom. Thank you for dropping by my place and leaving a note. I will be back!

Popular Posts