Learning To Rest

There is much activity in my personal life right now. My daughter will shortly be closing on a two family dwelling and my husband and I will be moving into the lower flat of the home. My daughter will move into the one upstairs. This is wonderful! It will put her near us as we get older and it will put her in a home of her own -- yet not alone. Her Dad always knows how to do things (we have not found things he cannot figure out how to work or make work) so he will be near to help her. All in all it is awesome of the Lord to allow and make provision for this.

Yet, because so much seems up in the air (so to speak) I find my body not wanting to relax. I see so much to do and so much to think through that I have a tendency to stay tense. This was pointed out to me in a big way this morning as I went to see my chiropractor. Her office always puts us in a room for 10 - 15 minutes before she comes in, and that is good, because we are instructed to lie on the table and wait. Well, I got there and did as instructed and my body began to tell me "No!," Nothing in it wanted to relax. This relaxing is essential so she can adjust the body appropriately. She is excellent and I always feel so much better after a visit, but my body did not want to let go and just rest. Well, before she came into the treatment room, my body did relax and she was able to work her miracle.

I know we are all very much alike. We get tense when life gets busy, or excited, or even difficult. Relaxing or resting is one of the most difficult things to do when we first try. But, as with my body this morning, when we choose to rest and allow ourselves to do so, then matters find their priorities and we are able to rest in the middle of whatever.

Our Lord has called us to "rest" in Himself. It is a call purposely out of tenseness and work. It is a call to trust -- to rest and let Him exercise His role as Lord of all. That "all" means me and my body and my life. It is a call out of trial and past. It is a call out of stress and worry. It is a clear call to trust Him and to allow Him to order our lives. It is a call to Sabbath (Jesus is that Sabbath as the day in the Old Testament was a prophetic statement of the role of the Christ in our lives).

He loves us so very much. He knew from the beginning that being tense and stressed would work against health and well-being, so He provided Himself for that peace and that rest. "Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry." Matt.11:28-30 Net Bible

(Photo of some of my flowers on my balcony. Taken yesterday).

Comments

athomewithoma said…
What a family and community idea that is lost in our current culture sometimes! The mix of generations sharing knowledge, support and love.

I love this for you and for the example to others.
ded said…
Oops! I was logged on as my wife (didn't know it) and posted the above comment and didn't notice. Sorry for any confusion.
Iris Godfrey said…
Oh -- I thought I had two comments. It's good to hear from you -- even twice. It is a joy to our hearts that our daughter (only daughter - we have 3 sons) desires us to be close. She is in full-time ministry and a delight in many, many ways.

I enjoy your blog. I know I do not always comment, but I read most days. Your thoughts are worth sharing. Thank you.
Blessings!
Renna said…
I also sometimes struggle with relaxing. I have caught myself, while lying in bed at night, with my head held just above my pillow! Of course, if there are trials and troubles going on, the enemy always comes in at night with his temptation to worry!

I am learning to rest in Him, to cast my burdens on to Him and leave them with Him. I don't always do it, but I'm learning.

I think your new living arrangement plan is an ideal one! :-)

Popular Posts