Righteous in His Faithfulness!

"...I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ -- the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith." Philippians 3:8-9 TNIV
The Holy Spirit, writing through the Apostle Paul, is sharing something very important in this scripture. We have dealt enough with verse 8, but I wanted the context of it with us so we could understand verse 9.

He is letting us know that "doing right" is not the criteria for pleasing God. Now, lest I be misunderstood, I want to state to all that I fully believe in living in a way that brings glory to the Lord Jesus, that confirms the "rightness" of God in all matters and that reflects the "holy" status He has given me. However, those items do not make me right with God.

We often get "being right with God" (aka - doing right things and "being right") synonymous with pleasing God. I do not doubt such behavior pleases Him, however, the scriptures teach us that our behavior does not make us righteous nor unrighteous, as important as our behavior is.
"Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin. But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe." Romans 3:20-22 TNIV
When we receive the Lord Jesus, He gives us His righteousness. We please God and stand in a right placement with Him simply and only on the basis of Christ and our relationship in Him. Our behavior will, in that climate, find its holy expression through that grace (Titus 2:11-12), but the fact of being "right" with God has been answered in Him and by Him!

Our understanding of "right" will change from humanism to that which is Godly and God focused as we allow the transformation of thought through the Word. However, our rightness is secured in His righteousness - never by our correct understanding and subsequent behavior. This is such good, good news. His love for me and care of me in this relationship is in His faithfulness. Verse 22 could just as easily read, "This righteousness is given through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ to all who believe." Oh what an awesome privilege and gift! Thank you Lord Jesus!

Comments

Popular Posts