Therefore, My Beloved...

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Philippians 2:12-13 ESV
"Therefore, my beloved, . . . ." What absolutely warm, endearing words to a church body! I do not think I have every heard someone talk this way to their Christian group. I know we read such things from Paul,  often - but as I was reading just before typing those words, my sense of wonderment grew at the love being expressed.

He is going to instruct them, that is true, yet the very thought of a group of church members being addressed by a church leader (whatever the title) as "Beloved" is foreign to most of us. Such terms of endearment we usually only hear from someone deeply in love. So what is this strange emotion the Holy Spirit is speaking through Paul?

I think he is expressing genuine, very deep and abiding love and gratitude for them. He is echoing the terminology of the Holy Spirit toward them. I think I need to really think this through as a leader in the Body, and begin to allow the Lord to express through me the emotions of the God-Head toward the Body of Christ. I think we all need to see that this is not only possible, but longed for in the Lord. Oh that we as leaders would touch His people with His love - always, first and foremost! Teaching, preaching, correction, instruction, challenge, all must take a back-seat to the expression of the Lord's love for His people. This must not be rote, insincere or manipulative. It must be proceeded by a genuine experience of that same love by the one expressing it. Nothing is more stale than insincere affection. This calls for us to stay on our knees before our Lord and receive His heart. Then give that to those who are His. An awesome call from an awesome Lord!

Comments

madelyn perriello said…
Iris, what a beautiful thought. How deep is His love for us but so many times I feel my heart is closed to receiving from Him. Especially from a brother or sister. But if I can give and receive the love of My Lord then i can give it away to others. What a powerful statement... Nothing more stale than insincere affection. May I always be ready to receive His heart and then freely give that love away. Blessing to you! Madelyn
Michelle Helf said…
I am saddened by how many people in body find it strange to be passionate and in love with Christ :( In most bodies if you are free to lavish your love on the Lord or to express your love it is abnormal! I find it abnormal that God would save and set you free and to have no emotion about it! As the song by Lifehouse says "how can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?" Just to speak of the Lord stirs my heart!

Popular Posts