Increasing Our Accounts

"You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account. But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God. And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:15-20 NASB
Paul is very appreciative of this church and their continual support of the call of God on his life. He acknowledges their support from the beginning of his ministry among them. (Acts 16) They have endeared themselves to him because of their faithful support. Hence, the occasion of this letter - to thank them.

Notice that Paul says he does not seek their gift. Instead he seeks what their giving will produce for them. He says, "Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account." These are accounting terms. He is sharing with them what matters to him is not that he has received, but that they have gained by giving. When we as God's people, enter into an attitude of giving for the benefit of others, especially as it relates to His Kingdom, then that is added to our account in Him. I do not understand how all this operates, but I know it does. Our giving and our attitudes of generosity in giving are all very profitable in the Kingdom for Kingdom work, but they add up in our account somehow. The amounts or types of giving is not in view here. It is simply giving. This may seem like a simplistic explanation, but I see it very clearly in this passage. Paul wants them to know that beyond his gratitude, he is grateful that their accounts have increased.

If we could begin to comprehend this, it would revolutionize our attitudes toward giving to the Lord's work and to those who need some help at the present moment. When we learn to love giving more than we love spending, the Kingdom will become much more productive in our world. These are attitudes we can have which automatically evangelize Him. May we allow these "seeds" to take root and grow in our hearts into attitudes of blessing, blessing, blessing!

Comments

Popular Posts