The Inclusive Circumcision

"For in him all the fullness of God's nature dwells bodily, and in him you are made full, who is the head of all principality and power; in whom you were also circumcised with a circumcision not made with hands, in the putting off of the body of the flesh, in the circumcision of Christ; having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead." Colossians 2:9-12 NHEB
He is full of God and we are full of Him and in Him, because the old body of flesh was circumcised off us with a circumcision of Spirit - not made with hands. This truth is not generally believed in the church today. We think we have to get rid of the old man of flesh, repent, repent, repent, and make sure our old nature is cut off, emptied out and cast down. This passage states that the action of all that is needless. The Holy Spirit circumcised the old nature off in the Spirit when He came to live inside. The old man of flesh was cut off. I may indeed need to repent, but repent of my unbelief in His work and trust in His provision - a huge difference from wallowing in self-pity over my sin.

Now if I believe I still possess that old man, the enemy of my soul will agree with me, and before long I am behaving in a way that confirms that I still have that thing in me. This is why concentration on my sin (as a believer) will never give me victory over any thing. Only when I receive what is done for me can I then receive His victory and live out of what He has done. The victory is always mine in Him. Never on my own, not in my own work, but in Him all that is His is mine (1 Corinthians 3:21-23). Again in Galatians 5:16 we read, "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh." A purposeful concentration into the Spirit, eliminates the need or desire to have things of the old flesh nature.

This Grace Covenant of Love works very differently than the Law Covenant. The New Covenant is full of what Christ has done instead of the emphasis of my doing right. That being said, as I believe and truly embrace what He has done then my life will sing the song of righteousness - lived in victory. So it will appear that I do right and therefore am blessed, but in reality I am blessed - therefore I am empowered to do right in Him.


Comments

Linda Rarey said…
This is such an important insight! We never gain anything by concentrating on ourselves. This gives deeper understanding to Hebrews 12:2--Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Popular Posts