A Different Direction

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again."
We often hear "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" quoted is a sermon, teaching or written article. Yet, do we take the time to allow the truth of that statement become a part of us? I also hear it argued with. Isn't that just what we do when we have not yet come to understand what is being said? Let's ponder that statement a bit.

I think if I was saying it, I would put it differently. Something like, "For me to live is gain (thinking of the Kingdom, of course) and to die is Christ," for after all I am going to Him, in Him and for Him. However, the way the Holy Spirit had Paul phrase this was not that way, nor with that meaning. He said that for him to be alive on this earth, was only Christ being alive through him and for him to leave this earth was his personal gain. He so understood His identity as a son of God and co-heir of Christ, that he knew to live here meant that Christ would be here in his flesh.

Remember Galatians 2:20:
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

And Colossians 3:3:
"For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God."
Paul was living by faith. I believe we have this same opportunity in our life - to live as Christ in every area and arena. I think we have excused ourselves from this type of thinking because we generally do not understand our role as sons of God and co-heirs with our precious Jesus Christ. As we come to know the truth of all that the New Testament presents to us in this regard, may we enter the understanding that for us to live another hour is to be our Jesus in-flesh for that hour.

The emphasis of our lives will be massively shifted when these understandings become our base of life in Jesus - His love, His grace, His forgiveness, His provision, His inheritance and His place. Awesome!

Comments

Popular Posts